Disciple Up #280
Stewardship, Pt 4, Marriage
By Louie Marsh, 10-19-2022
“21submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.” (Ephesians 5:21, ESV)
“22Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.
25Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. 28In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.” (Ephesians 5:22–28, ESV)
“29For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, 30because we are members of his body. 31“Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. 33However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.” (Ephesians 5:29–33, ESV)
- The word submit isn’t in verse 22. Most scholars say it’s implied. But is it or is there an alterative way to see these verses?
- The church is supposed to be a place a mutual submission.
- The Greek is in the middle voice, which means you do this to yourself. It’s reflexive not something done to you by others.
- The husband has an impossible command to live up too.
- No room for your ego!
Wives are called to submit to their husbands loving them like Christ. They must serve their mate in love.
- Husbands are called to love their wives in self-sacrificial ways like Jesus did. Nothing about ego, power or pride here – it’s all about serving your mate in love.
- THIS is Biblical stewardship – caring for the mate God has given you.
Please Get In Touch!
Email – email@example.com
Check out the Disciple Up Facebook page:
My books –